Thursday, June 3, 2010

Everything needs an emergency shut-off.

A full and packed weekend planned, starting with a flight departing Boise at 7:25 AM. A mini vacation and some exposure to the sun. A lot of exposure to the sun. Shorts and sunglasses, Bose headphones and a new book. Pack lightly.

Friday: 103. Lunch at In'n'Out. A trip to the grocery store and a walk around a mall with people I've never met before. Rock Band in someone else's house. A pool with no water, surrounded by tiki torches and speakers that look like rocks. I use my imagination to figure out what it looks like.

Saturday: 107. Lunch and Rock Band with Jacob and Alex. I have blisters on top of blisters, and try to play everything on Hard. It often results in multiple failures. Jared will take me to SMoCA. Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. We'll drive a convertible. I have Ralph Lauren sunglasses. Swanky dinner of swank afterwards, and the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It won't be as good as the book. But the company will enjoy it. And I'm excited.

Sunday: 110. Phoenix Proper. Every time we spell Phoenix, in our heads, we're all saying, Pho-Enix. You do it, too. You do now. We're going to the Phoenix Zoo. I find it "highly improbable" that they will have polar bears. But camels are for sure. As well as elephants. No spazzy crane. Downtown Phoenix. Four million people. 110 degrees Fahrenheit. We're going to cook dinner. Enjoy a case of Raspberry Ginger Beer. A treat, a special occasion.

Monday: 108. It's unplanned. A flight home. The next trip to start planning.

I'm excited.

I'll be at the D curb.

I won't be waiting for a blue Subaru.

It's Brian's school, without Brian. Brian's city without Brian. Brian's friends without Brian. Brian's life without Brian. I wonder how long until it feels less empty. I just try not to think about it anymore. Mourn it like it's dead. It is what it is.

Until it stops being the first thought I wake up to every morning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment