Monday, May 10, 2010

Thank you.

I can't be angry and I can't resent him, so the easiest thing to do at this point is just to move on. There's been a chain link fence on the other side of the sidewalk by my dorm since I got here. They look it down today and something about that felt strangely liberating.

My last radio show, and the phone rang once.

"I'm really sad to see you go, Jessica," said a guy, I didn't know who it was. "I've really enjoyed your show, but you seem like a really optimistic person, so I'm sure all your future endeavors will be great."

How is it that strangers have more insight on my life than I do? How did he know to say that to me today, not any other day, but today? I didn't want to be rude and ask who it was, so I'll never know. But it's powerful and significant to me.

"It only makes sense," I said, "to play the very first song I ever played on KBGA." I turned on "In the Hot Hot Rays" by the Fleet Foxes. "Missoula, this has been great. Thanks for listening, I have had the most fun time."

On radio, no one can see you, but can they hear it in your voice if you are about to cry? I cannot think of a title for this blog to sum up everything I've learned in the past year, and the experiences I've had, and the person I've become. Everything that KBGA has taught me, the way it has shaped my life. There's no single set of words that could sum such a thing up...except thank you.

"Are you regretting the decision, then?" Clark asked.

"No, not at all. I'm excited," I said. "I spent some three hours last night talking to a guy who works at KJACK, the nicest guy ever, I swear. And he said everyone there is so cool and he'll introduce me to everyone and he's excited to have me. So no. There'll be tons of cool people there."

I didn't know how true it was when I said my decision was independent of Brian. I was pretty sure at the time, but I didn't know how right I was.

Those three months I worked, the progress I made was all for this moment right now. It's an opportunity to be strong and resilient. This is the situation I am in, and I intent to handle it with as much grace and openness as I can.

"You look older," Clark said to me.

"I've been through a lot in the past twelve hours," I said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment