Monday, May 17, 2010

18 days to Phoenix, 24 to InkSpot

You know that feeling where you are glowing and it's like everyone around you knows it? And you feel like you are sharing excitement and happiness with everyone around you? Like everyone can hear the music in your ears, and everyone can feel the warm sun?

I didn't think this would be me one week out from the Awkward Hour. I didn't know my own strength, my own resilience, my own independence.

This independent streak, a jellyfish on my arm, a trip to Phoenix, another flight listing. I still ride along the Greenbelt.

This habit of late night conversation, trailing off into early morning text messages. Tea with Jared. Tattoo parlors. Talk with Jared. Both Jareds. You're both lovely.

I wrote a short story on the back of my resume.

"Why did you name me Stutter?" Stutter McStumblepants asked her mom over a dish of strawberry ice cream.

"Because we wanted to name you Miranda, but your grandma freaked out about Carmen Miranda and the Miranda Rights and stuff like that."

So obviously Stutter was the next logical choice.

It's a job I might get. We'll see.

And a visit to Mr. Daron. Out of all the people in Boise High, it's my math teacher I visit first. Who would have thought? Not newspaper, not art. Not even English. He laughs a lot, and I liked making him laugh. Feeling clever and witty. A visit to Mr. Mendive, who could only remember Brian's name, but not mine. But Mr. Stamps was warm and nice, as always.

Brian was an absolute delight in my life. But now I am finding that life itself is rather delightful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment