Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Awkward Hour

I never really can sleep well the night before I do a radio show. Something about knowing I have to get up at 5:30 and do something always messes with me. My brain sets an alarm clock to go off once an hour from the time I go to bed until the time I get up, just to make sure there's no mistake.

1 AM. 2AM. 3AM. 4:30 AM.

And then I have those dreams that are so convincingly real, and you are positive you are actually awake and living your day. In my dream last night, I went to the studio to find the power out. This is surprisingly creepy, as everything in a radio station, believe it or not, runs on electricity. There is never a time when something isn't humming or blinking or glowing in that room. Yet it was completely dark, and naturally, there was a dead girl in there as well. Couldn't see her right away due to the lack of power. I couldn't have been more convinced that all this really happened, right up until my alarm clock actually did go off this morning, of course.

So I went and did my show. And then the next DJ didn't show up for his show at nine, and it was a lot like deja vous, since this is exactly what happened last week, and I ended up staying until noon. A six to noon shift is long even by my standards. Lucky, though, I escaped by ten today.

While I rode my bike home, I thought, what will KBGA do without me? But then I thought, what will I do without KBGA? Get more sleep, I guess.

I'm just sayin.

PS,
Here's Dustin:

0 comments:

Post a Comment